Monday, November 19, 2007

David Gage Workshops: Learn From the Best


Two more reasons why it would be great to spend more time in New York City: David Gage String Instruments, maybe the greatest bass store in the world*, is playing host to two can't-miss workshops in the next two weeks.

The great Ron Carter, bassist for Miles Davis and a million other leaders over the last 45 years or so, is giving a workshop at David Gage on Dec. 3 at 7:15 p.m. Underappreciated father-son bassists Barre & Dave Phillips are making a rare appearance together (Barre lives in France) on Nov. 27 at 7:15 p.m.

Those who can't make it to NYC can check out the workshops via the live stream at mikesmasterclasses.com

For more information, click here to go to the David Gage site.

*(just ask Christian McBride, Francois Moutin or hundreds of other bassists who buy and repair their instruments there)

BTW, the photo is one that I took when I visited the Gage shop in January 2006, while I was in town for the International Association for Jazz Education convention. The shop's managers showed me around the place, and very graciously let me inspect and play several basses that were worth more than the original purchase price of my home. And yet, I still love the response and sound of my own bass, a 100-year-old Paulus 3/4 made in Germany.

No comments: