Sunday, May 07, 2006

Reading For the Trip to New Orleans

As an intellectual/emotional warm-up for my recent trip to New Orleans, I decided to re-read two great novels that take place in NOLA -- John Kennedy Toole's A Confederacy of Dunces, and Walker Percy's The Moviegoer.

As things go, I haven't made as much progress as I'd like, but I am about halfway through Toole's book, and it's as funny as I remembered, a real twisted comic masterpiece. I'm only a few pages into The Moviegoer, but I'll get there eventually.

My reading time, too, lately has been occupied by a long list of periodicals, including, lately, the beautifully written altcountry/Americana bible No Depression and music/film/book magazine Paste.

I've also spent time recently exploring the print and online editions of New Orleans music monthly Offbeat, entertainment weekly Gambit and the daily Times-Picayune.

So much to read, so little time.

No comments: